Acton

Acton2In the 6th century Anglo Saxons settled in this wooded area.

The village name is derived from this period ‘AC’ meaning oak and ‘TUN’ meaning a small group of farms.

By the 19th century there was a greater population than today with the 1841 census registering 167 people.

This was probably due to the lane that passes through the village. Until 1843 this was the turnpike road from Newcastle to Shrewsbury. Another road (now a bridal path) came from Shelton under Harley and joined the turnpike road at Acton House.

At the beginning of the 21st century the only commercial developments are a farm well known for making cheese and, on the site of the old sand quarry, a composting plant, both at the west end of the village.

Acton1Wood Lane which leads to Swynnerton Old Park Forest, passes ‘Hangmans Corner’ where it is believed there was a gibbit. The woods are entered by Hobgoblin Gate. Today, mostly softwoods, pine, fir and larch are grown and replace the original oak trees. The oak forest was felled for its timber during the Second World War.

Acton History by Val Bowers June 2000

Ac-tun Acton 25th June 2000ICON